Forms and strengths
- Form: oral tablet
- Strength: 0.5 mg
Dosage for high prolactin levels
Adult dosage (ages 18 to 64 years)
- Typical starting dosage: 0.25 mg taken twice per week.
- Dosage increases: Your doctor may increase your dosage by 0.25 mg. This decision depends on your prolactin levels. Your doctor may increase your dosage once every 4 weeks.
- Maximum dosage: 1 mg twice per week.
Child dosage (ages 0 to 17 years)
This medication has not been studied in children. It should not be used in people younger than 18 years.
Senior dosage (ages 65 years and older)
The kidneys and liver of older adults may not work as well as they used to. This can cause your body to process drugs more slowly. As a result, more of a drug stays in your body for a longer time. This raises your risk of side effects.
Your doctor may start you on a lowered dosage or a different treatment schedule. This can help keep levels of this drug from building up too much in your body.
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this list includes all possible dosages. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always speak with your doctor or pharmacist about dosages that are right for you.
Take as directed
Cabergoline oral tablet is used for short-term treatment. It comes with serious risks if you don’t take it as prescribed.
If you stop taking the drug suddenly or don’t take it at all: The levels of prolactin in your blood will stay high. In women, high prolactin levels can change ovulation, menstrual cycles, and breast milk production. In men, high prolactin levels can affect reproduction and cause sexual issues. These include a decreased sex drive and not being able to get or keep an erection.
If you miss doses or don’t take the drug on schedule: Your medication may not work as well or may stop working completely. For this drug to work well, a certain amount needs to be in your body at all times.
If you take too much: You could have dangerous levels of the drug in your body. Symptoms of an overdose of this drug can include:
- nasal congestion
- hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there)
If you think you’ve taken too much of this drug, call your doctor or local poison control center. If your symptoms are severe, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
What to do if you miss a dose: Take your dose as soon as you remember. If you remember just a few hours before your next scheduled dose, take only one dose. Never try to catch up by taking two doses at once. This could result in dangerous side effects.
How to tell if the drug is working: You should have decreased levels of prolactin in your body. Your doctor will check your prolactin levels with a blood test.
Important considerations for taking this drug
Keep these considerations in mind if your doctor prescribes cabergoline oral tablet for you.
- You should take this drug at the time(s) recommended by your doctor.
- You can take this drug with or without food.
- You can cut or crush the tablet.
- Not every pharmacy stocks this drug. When filling your prescription, be sure to call ahead to make sure your pharmacy carries the drug.
- Store cabergoline at room temperature between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C).
- Keep this drug in the container it came in.
- Don’t store this medication in moist or damp areas, such as bathrooms.
A prescription for this medication is refillable. You should not need a new prescription for this medication to be refilled. Your doctor will write the number of refills authorized on your prescription.
When traveling with your medication:
- Always carry your medication with you. When flying, never put it into a checked bag. Keep it in your carry-on bag.
- Don’t worry about airport X-ray machines. They can’t hurt your medication.
- You may need to show airport staff the pharmacy label for your medication. Always carry the original prescription-labeled box with you.
- Don’t put this medication in your car’s glove compartment or leave it in the car. Be sure to avoid doing this when the weather is very hot or very cold.
You and your doctor should monitor certain health issues during your treatment. This can help make sure you stay safe while you take this drug. These issues include your:
- Heart function. Your doctor may do an echocardiogram (ECG) and other tests to check your heart before and during your treatment with this drug. This is to make sure it’s safe for you to take. If you develop problems with your heart valves, your doctor will stop your treatment with this drug.
- Prolactin levels. Your doctor will do blood tests to measure the amount of prolactin in your body. This will help your doctor decide if you still need treatment with this drug.
Many insurance companies require a prior authorization for this drug. This means your doctor may need to get approval from your insurance company before your insurance company will pay for the prescription.
In men, cabergoline is a potentially effective medication to help manage the symptoms of high prolactin. Its benefits to sexual health include:
Treatment for Male Orgasmic Disorder
Male orgasmic disorder is the constant or frequent absence of orgasm during sexual intercourse. Male orgasmic disorder is caused by several medical conditions, of which one is high levels of prolactin.
According to research, cabergoline is a potential treatment for the male orgasmic disorder and delayed orgasm regardless of the patient’s age or the cause of his orgasmic disorder.
A Complementary Medication for Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get, or maintain, a firm erection because of physical and psychological factors. ED itself and its underlying organic or psychogenic causes may result in unsatisfactory sex life, low self-esteem, relationship problems, stress, and anxiety.
Together with tadalafil medication, cabergoline has been shown to provide safer and more operative treatment in the treating of patients with psychogenic erectile dysfunction compared to treatment solely using tadalafil.
May Help Increase Testosterone Levels
Testosterone levels in men naturally decrease with time because of factors such as a rise in comorbidities or existing illnesses and the aging population.
Testosterone deficiency in aging men is associated with symptoms such as low sex drive, depression, decreased brain performance, lack of energy, erectile dysfunction, osteoporosis, and loss of muscle mass and strength.
High levels of prolactin decrease testosterone levels in men.
According to a study, long-term treatment with cabergoline has been shown to decrease prolactin levels and significantly increase testosterone levels. In addition, sperm health has also improved in volume, number, rapid progression, and motility after six months of treatment.